Your Windows and Mac OS X devices need quality open VPN client configuration. You should be able to access the VPN server with ease. This article looks at various ways of installing and configuring common openVPN’s GUI. You also need to understand its command line interface because this is a basic requirement. Execution is via the prompt that has a similar behavior that does not depend on the operating system. The access to your VPN server and default parameters configuration has to be at your fingertips. Furthermore, the enabling of openVPN is by the flag command thus you get a server that has a default behavior. User authentication should also to be done. A great knowledge of the best open VPN configuration is what you to have to enjoy your device utility fully.
Understanding Configuration file of OpenVPN client
Numerous parameters are defined using the command line or the configuration file. This will enable you to configure the openVPN client in a number of ways. In most cases people use the Zeroshell VPN server thus there is limited parameter definition in the client’s configuration file. More simplicity is achieved in openVPN client by downloading a sample of a configuration file through the clicking of the open VPN configuration link. The file will give you an explanation about the parameters but you need to do some changes to get Zeroshell VPN connection.
Your remote zeroshell.example.com 1194 has to be replaced with chosen hostname. Optionally, you can replace it with the open VPN client server IP address. There are default configuration settings demands that your open VPN service accurately listed on port 1194/TCP thus you should not modify your second parameter (1194).
In addition, there is file specification by the second parameter called the ca parameter. This has the X.509 Certification Authority applied on server singing. The hyperlink is clicked to get this certificate. It is advisable that you save your CA’s certificate using the name CA.pem in same configuration directory file hence you will not need the change of parameter. If you choose the other option then absolute file path specification is mandatory.
Windows OpenVPN GUI Download
Do you own a windows XP device? Then this is what you need to maximize your device functioning. It can be installed on your Microsoft Windows XP or later. It works on 32/64 bits machines and you have to follow these steps:
• Download the installer – This is conveniently found from http://openvpn.se/download.html. You should pick a file that has open VPN client software and GIU.
• Installation– You have to use default options. Moreover, you have to confirm installation of TAP-Win 32 Adapter V8 device. The end of installer working is indicated by a VPN icon on the TrayBar with twin red terminals coupled up with an Earth Global Symbol. The terminals are green open VPN is connected and yellow while establishing connection.
• Click the start on your Windows start menu and proceed till you reach the open VPN client configuration file directory. You are required to copy the zeroshell.ovpn.
• Edit the copied zeroshell.ovpn file and also replace zeroshell.example.com with hostname of your open VPN client router.
• Try starting VPN connection by double clicking on its icon. There will be a dialogue box for you to confirm your password and username. Right click the icon to get various options on the contextual menu. You will be ready to go.
Mac OS X Tunnelblick – OpenVPN Client
Does your Mac OS X have a quality open VPN client interface? If this is not the case then look for Tunnelblick. It is a user interface package used on Mac OS X open VPN. GUI installation is done by going through these stages:
- Download the package from http://code.google.com/p/tunnelblick/.
- The .dmg file is double clicked after the above action.
- Double click the Tunnelblick.app
- Confirm installation of Tunnelblick.app by clicking on the install button.
- Click the launch button that launch Tunnelblick.app
- Set the administrator password and or username then click OK.
- Create then open configuration folder.
- Drag CA.pem and zeroshell.ovpn to the shown window.
- Launch the Tunnelblick alias by double clicking on it.
- Choose automatic updates if you wish because it is optional.
- Replace zeroshell.example.com with IP of the open VPN client server. Save the changed configurations then quit.
- Click on the icon to commence VPN connection
- Set password and username then click OK. This includes administrator credentials.